Saturday, January 10, 2009

Nicky's Out!!

I'm not sure exactly what time the snow started, but it was snowing when I woke up and it continued throughout the day. Snow is so pretty to look at but since I've gotten older I really don't like to be out in it for long if I can help it. I just don't like the cold! Eeek!

One thing that hasn't changed is that I love to watch the snow and I get excited to see the snow. I tell the kids to look out the window like it's their first time seeing it. I've learned that this may just be hereditary. lol My grandparents (Mom's parents) used to get their kids to look out of the window to see the snow. For many years, I can remember that everytime it snowed, Pappy Frohnheiser or Aunt Linda, and then eventually my mom once I was out on my own, would call and say, "Nicky's out". It wasn't until about 2 months ago that I found out what they were actually saying.

When my mom and her siblings grew up, they had a dog, named, "Nicky". He went on to doggy heaven. When it would snow, my grandparents would tell their kids that "Nicky's out" to get their attention and to get them to look outside to be surprised by the snow.

To this day, I still receive phone calls and I've even made some calls to family to say that, "Nicky's out". I guess it's tradition or maybe just weird, I don't know. What I do know is that I love the opportunity it gives for me to call family members. It is also a reminder to me of my grandparents. It puts a smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart.

I can't wait (ok, maybe I can) for my boys to go out on their own so I can call them and tell them that Nicky's out.






No comments: