Monday, January 12, 2009

Bruxism....

I am a grinder/clencher. I never knew there was a term for that. I did a little research tonight because it's becoming a really bad problem for me. I grind/clench almost constantly. :(

I can't give the exact date that it started, or even know how long it's been since I started, but I do remember what caused me to start. All I remember is that I was very upset and didn't want to talk to anyone. I sat quietly and it just came naturally and I've been doing it ever since. (I do know that it is well over a year now.)

When I "catch" myself doing it, I try to stop myself, only to find that seconds later, I am doing it again. It's become a real problem and I will be making myself an appt. with the dentist when I take the boys there next Monday.

I sometimes wake in the morning with my jaw "locked". I get pains in my ears and head. It's not enjoyable in the least. At night, I lie in bed and try to relax my mouth. It's almost as though my tongue is too big for my mouth (funny, it never was before). I shove my tongue against the backs of my bottom teeth and it causes suction and then I grind, and grind, and grind some more. I want to stop, I've tried to stop, but nothing seems to be working.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I'd really love to hear them. I did a little "research" tonight, and this is what I found:

"Everybody handles excess stress differently. Some people develop an ulcer, some people develop high blood pressure, and some people grind or clench their teeth.
Stress, it's now believed, is the major cause of grinding and clenching your teeth, say dental researchers. In the past, a malocclusion (the way your teeth fit together) got the blame, and dentists would grind the teeth down, trying to readjust the bite."

"The problem with bruxism, as the habit of grinding and clenching is called, is the wear and tear on your teeth. When you grind your teeth, you can wear away tooth enamel. This can lead to sensitive teeth and tooth decay, and it can also cause damage to expensive dental work. Finally, grinding taxes the muscles and joints of the temporomandibular (jaw). Prolonged grinding may damage the jaw joint enough to cause osteoarthritis as well as bone loss in periodontal (gum) disease, although it does not actually cause gum disease."

"Teeth-grinding is thought to be hereditary. It's also related to gender: Three times as many women as men grind their teeth. Bruxism is most common in those between 20 and 40 years of age."

Yes, that's me.....to a "T".

No comments: