Friday, July 31, 2009

"Happy To Be Stuck With You"....

(A song from the '80's by Huey Lewis & the News)

Ten years ago, on this day, I married my best friend. Ten years is a "milestone anniversary", but we've actually been together for 18 years now.

Neither of us is afraid to admit that our marriage has not exactly been a fariytale, and we both agree that nothing could ever come between us, ever. Over the years, we've learned a lot and gained a lot too. Yes, weight included! haha

I still get giddy and watch or listen for Dennis to get home from work. I do miss him while he's gone, but since having cell phones, he's sure to call me every day while on his lunch break. (I think he misses me, too!)

Dennis has the ability to make me laugh as well as cry. He has also learned how to deal with me at times when I couldn't understand myself.

Last year, he did something he doesn't like to openly admit to too many people. He took me to a Kenny Chesney concert, and we had a great time. As much as he dislikes them, he also goes to my family reunions and tries so hard not to show me how much he really doesn't want to be there. He does it for me. It isn't just a one-way street. I've made many sacrafices to make him happy too, but when I think about it, I probably haven't done near as much for him as he has for me. (Got to work on that!)

He's my mechanic, handyman, carpenter, "pool boy", landscaper, grounds keeper, bread winner, plumber, provider, best friend, comedian, teddy bear, partner in crime, love of my life, my better half (hey, Brad! A Keith Urban song there!), my knight in shining armor, etc.. etc. I could go on and on. All that, wrapped up into one big package.

I am so blessed beyond words, even when we have our "bad" days, deep down I still love him. We both agree, and just can't fathom the thought of us ever being apart. Coming from divorced parents, and knowing others that have gone through it, we will both do everything possible to stay together and there is nothing that would even make us want to part. We're in it for the long haul. :)

After 18 years together, 10 years married, and 4 children later, we still are in awe about how we feel about each other. We never imagined it could be this good and hasn't gone stale. There are always new adventures awaiting us and there's really nothing that we can't or haven't conquered on the way. I look forward to more "milestone" anniversaries and growing old with him. I love you with ALL of my heart, Dennis!
I love this pic of the two of us...we really do laugh a lot! :

Dennis STILL carries this pic of us in his wallet. It was taken about a month after we'd met:

No comments: