Sunday, August 05, 2007

Little surprised and a little disappointed....


The letters that we've been waiting for finally came in the mail today. Letters from the school, stating where and when Corey and Collin will be going to school. I wasn't expecting what I read. The boys will be going to Prep-Kindergarten, and not "regular" Kindergarten.


When they were tested back in May, the teachers doing the testing told me that the boys did really well. They didn't pull me aside and tell me what to work on until August like they did some of the others. That's why I was surprised.


I was disappointed when I found out that they will have to go to Shull David, and not Mahoning Elementary. :( I was hoping they'd go to Mahoning, close to home. No, Shull David isn't all that far away, but they are unfamiliar with SD like they are with Mahoning. They've been to Mahoning many times when Bradley went there. They are even known by the teachers and some of the staff there. I feel sad, in a way, too, since every time we drive past the school, we'd tell them that it's the school they'll be going to. :(
I plan on making a phone call on Monday. I'd like to know why they decided my boys need the 2 year Kindergarten? When Brad started school, he didn't know his alphabet, couldn't write his name, and he didn't even know how to hold a pencil. He was in the "regular" Kindergarten, and did VERY well. (By 3rd grade he was being tested to be put in the "advanced" classes!)
According to the letter, Prep-K doesn't necessisarily mean they will do 2 years of K. They will test after 5 weeks (sometime in Oct) and then do a re-evaluation to see if they could go to K. I want to know if they'd stay at SD or if they'd be transferred to Mahoning? I was thinking, too, that maybe we could try it the opposite way. If they don't do well enough in K, then put them in Prep?
Maybe my emotional ties to Mahoning is what's getting in my way? I went there, and so did Trevor and Brad. It kind of saddens me that C&C won't be. I'm sure they'd go to Mahoning next year, but I'd kind of like them to stay with the same group they started with, if that makes any sense?
I had my heart set on being more involved this year. Since I make the yearbook for Mahoning, I was hoping to be there and to be able to take pics for the yearbook. Not only that, I found it very difficult to put together a yearbook for a school that none of my boys attended. Don't get me wrong, no matter what school they attend, I DO plan on being involved. It's just now I will have to make myself familiar with a different school. I'm not good at that sort of thing. Ugh.
I guess, all I can do is wait and see what they tell me when I call on Monday. And to think, my biggest worry until this was if I should separate them or keep them together.

No comments: