Saturday, November 17, 2007

Theft in a small town

Trevor called me yesterday around 4:45pm from a friend's cell phone to tell me that someone stole his cell phone. I wasn't sure how that could happen because he normally has it in his pocket? He was upset and near tears as he was telling me how it happened. He gave me the names of the 4 boys involved and all I could do was roll my eyes. GRRR!! Through "association", I could get in touch with 3 of the 4 culprits. It's a small town, afterall. I was a bit confused and told him that I'd have to get his brothers ready and we'd pick him up and we'd go to the police station to report it stolen.

As I was finally ready to head out the door, I received a phone call from the police. As Trevor was waiting for me, a policeman drove by and Trevor flagged him down and told him what happened. The policeman took him to the station to get a statement. Just then, Dennis came in the door and I told him what happened and he headed for the station.

In the meantime, I made a few phone calls of my own. I was going to find out what happened to the phone. As I was doing this, Dennis would call me on my cell phone to tell me what was going on at the station. The police had 2 of the boys at the station and they were obviously lying and gave their (false) statements. They knew who had the phone, but they weren't giving that information. GRRRR!!! The police spent a lot of time with one of the boys, and in the end, I think he (Officer Solt) put a pretty big scare into the boy.

Around 7:30pm, Dennis and Trevor came home. Luckily, we are "pack rats" and save everything. Trevor gave Dennis the box that his phone came in and Dennis called the police with the numbers on the box. Dennis then went to go to AT&T (cingular?) to have the phone disabled, disconnected, or whatever the word is.

In the meantime, Trevor and I still did some investigating of our own. Through a few phone calls, and thanks to the scare the police put into one of the boys, we found out just who had the phone. We called the police with the new information that we had, and we were told that the police were aware of what was going on. Two of the boys went into the station to change their statements, and they were on their way to a 3rd boys house to get the phone.

Around 8:15pm, the policeman called me back. He had the phone in his custody, but the battery is missing. The thief took it out of the phone just to be a jerk. He said he threw it in his back yard. The thief is supposed to go to the station today to give his statement. (I'm not sure that he'll even show up. He has a warrant out for his arrest to begin with.)

As it turns out, too, the thief really is no stranger. His mom was married to my uncle, years ago. The thief is no stranger to the police, either, and had he told the truth from the start, it could've made things a lot easier.

We will be pressing charges.

No comments: