Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Happy Birthday Bradley!

It doesn't feel like 10 years have passed, but today is Bradley's 10th birthday. If you've ever met him, you already know that he is quite unique! He's our "Science Boy" and has a great imagination. He dreams of being an inventor someday, and it wouldn't surprise me if he would do it. His little mind has come up with some amazing things. Things that I never gave any thought to until he mentioned them. He's truly an amazing kid, and I love him dearly!

I figured today I would post his birth story. I hope you all enjoy it. :)

My pregnancy was for the most part, "normal", although most of my OB appointments showed that I was losing weight and not gaining. My dr wasn't too concerned and said the baby was taking from me and was gaining weight, and was measuring right on, so I wasn't to worry. I don't recall having an actual due date (but then again, it's been 10 years!), but I do remember being told that I'd have my baby sometime between Christmas and New Year's. I thought for sure that I was carrying a girl. This pregnancy wasn't the same as my first, with my oldest son (I had him single), Trevor, 6 years earlier.

Christmastime came and went. No baby. New Year's, same thing. At my next OB appointment, the dr scheduled me for an induction at 7am on Wednesday morning, January 4, 1996. January 3rd came, and I was going to take a bath and go to bed. I was so nervous and anxious that I couldn't sleep. Finally, around midnight, I got my bath and went to bed. I was going to wash my hair in the morning before we'd leave for the hospital. (I have a "thing" about having my hair done!) I wasn't feeling so good, and I thought that was because I was just getting over a "bug". The week before, I called Dr. Miller because I thought I was in labor, but it turned out to be stomach cramps. I felt like an idiot, and I think he was a little upset with me because I called him pretty late at night. (oops!)

Around 2am, I woke Dennis up. I couldn't sleep, and by this time, I was quite sure that it was labor. By this time, I was timing contractions, and they were about 5 minutes apart. This being his first child, he pretty much went into a panic. For some reason, all I could think about was that I'd have to get my hair done! LOL So, I washed my hair, and brought my hair dryer and curling iron into my bedroom and I was going to do my hair "quick" before we'd head to the hospital. There was no way that I could stand at the bathroom mirror to do my hair. I think it was 2, maybe 3 times that I had to stop the blow dryer and breath through some rough contractions. While I was doing my hair, Dennis called and woke my mom from bed to tell her we'd be bringing Trevor to her on our way to the hospital. He called the hospital and told them we were on our way.

Of course, the night before all of this, we got a pretty bad snow/ice storm. The roads were pretty rough, and being in labor, I swear, I felt every bump! I remember crying as we dropped Trevor off, even though I knew he'd be just fine with my mom. I'd never really had him with a sitter before this.

We arrived at the hospital sometime after 3am. By this time, the contractions were very strong. At 3:20am, I was examined and I was already dialated to 7-8 cm. My OB wasn't at the hospital yet because he lived about 10 miles away, and the roads were pretty bad. I was scared that he wouldn't be there for the delivery. The nurses put an IV in me, checked my stats, etc. At 4:08am, I was wheeled me across the hall to the delivery room. They could see the baby's head was coming as they transferred me from one bed to the other. I kept telling them that I had a bad urge to push, and they kept telling me that I shouldn't push. I couldn't help it, it was soooo hard to hold back. Just as they were putting my legs in the stirrups,at 4:12am, my OB arrived. He still had his coat on when he went to check me. I thought he was joking with me when he told me that I could have the New Year's baby. He told me too, that I'd get all kinds of gifts, etc. At 4:18, I had my baby. The dr said, "It's a boy!", and then I heard him cry. I was a little surprised, but happy none the less. I thought for sure I was having a girl, but I was just as thrilled to have another son. As the nurses took him to be weighed and measured, the thing that stuck out most was his toes. So tiny, but the big toes seemed really big in comparison. He weighed in at 6lbs 12oz, and was 19.75 inches long.

The nurses asked what we'd be naming him, and we weren't so sure. If he would've been a girl, his name would have been Heather. One of the nurses laughed, because HER name was Heather! We were undecided if we would name him Corey, after Dennis' best friend that died that previous June, or if we would name him Bradley. One of the nurses said he looked more like a Bradley, and we thought that too. So, Bradley Robert it was! I was then taken to a "regular" room.

I don't remember what time it was, but it was later that morning that I found out that I DID have the first baby born in Carbon County for the year. People brought all kinds of stuff in to my room. I received a rocking chair, a case of diapers, flowers, an exersaucer, a gift certificate, and a case of formula, and a few other things. I was also asked if I'd mind being on the local news. I had to sign some things, and before I knew it, there was a cameraman in my room! I felt awful, I mean, I did just deliver a baby! LOL I was so worried about what my hair looked like, and of course, it was pretty bad. I was so nervous (and tired!) that I wasn't even sure what I was saying. It was quite the experience, and one I won't ever forget.

I can't help but feel a little teary-eyed now, and I wish I could say that my memory was so good to remember the exact times like I posted, but I didn't. I cheated and looked at my hospital records. I wouldn't be able to remember exact times like that, but I can remember the events like it was yesterday. I can't wait to one day tell my grandchildren, or anyone else that will listen, for that matter!;)

When Brad was a baby, I would try to imagine what he would be like as he got older. I imagined he would be a great kid, and he turned out even better. We've been so blessed!

Happy 10th Birthday, Brad! I love you!!

No comments: